WELCOME TO PHYSICAL EDUCATION
Physical fitness, wellness, and safety express the goals of this discipline. Students in grades 9-12 participate in co-educational curriculum in Physical Education and Health. In the Physical Education curriculum, students participate in activities which provide:
1. Opportunities and challenges for students to gain and to maintain the knowledge and procedural techniques for physical fitness conditioning;
2. a variety of team and individual sports to give students a wide basis for choosing lifetime recreational pursuits;
3. experience to enhance such social growth and developmental skills as loyalty, decision-making, camaraderie, cooperation, and a sense of sportsmanship;
4. a means of achievement, accomplishment, and success;
5. the programs meet and exceed state mandates.
6. Adventure Games incorporates activities that increase self-esteem and self-confidence, enhances problem-solving skills, and develops skills necessary for working within a group.
The Physical Education curriculum progresses from larger motor activities through team play to an emphasis on the development of lifetime sports. The Physical Education/Health program emphasizes physical fitness, lifetime skills, sportsmanship and team work. Knowledge of body systems, building positive self-esteem, and the development of lifelong health and safety habits are stressed and integrated with other curriculum areas and special events. The overall goal is to offer challenging and varied programs that are responsive to the community and to the student’s needs.
Students are expected to uphold all Code of Conduct rules as adopted in the River Dell High School Student Handbook