Welcome to Band/Orchestra 901/1 2019-2020
5 credits/full year
2.5 credits/period 9/full year
The High School Band provides musicians with the opportunity to study a
wide variety of band literature in order to increase musical skills, knowledge,
sensitivity, and concert preparation. The band performs at winter and spring
Band is available during the “normal” school day and after school during
The High School Band and Choral Winter Concert will be Thursday, December 19th at 7pm in the auditorium. Attendance and participation in this concert is mandatory for all ensemble members. The Spring concert will be on Thursday, May 28th, at 7pm. Attendance is mandatory
- Students are expected to have a pencil and their music folder
- Students are expected to practice assigned sections of the music and review all previously rehearsed sections.
- Occasional performance exams will take place in class in an octet formation.
- Students are expected to be in attendance at all extracurricular rehearsals in addition to all performances.
- Students are expected to care for their Select Choir uniform being sure that it is clean and appropriate for all performances.
INSTRUMENTAL LESSON SCHEDULE: 9/24-10/19 CYCLE BEGINNING: FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 21 DAY PERIOD 1 PERIOD 4 PERIOD 5 PERIOD 6 PERIOD 7 24 MON (B) FLUTE 25 TUES (C ) CLARINET 26 WED (D) SAXOPHONE 27 THUR (A) TRUMPET 28 FRI (B) LOW BRASS PERCUSSION OCTOBER 1 MON (C ) 2 TUES (D) FLUTE 3 WED (A) CLARINET 4 THUR (B) SAXOPHONE 5 FRI (C ) LOW BRASS 9 TUES (A) 10 WED (B) PERCUSSION TRUMPET 11 THUR (C) FLUTE 12 FRI (D ) CLARINET 15 MON (A) SAXOPHONE 16 TUES (B) TRUMPET LOW BRASS 17 WED (C) 18 THUR (D) PERCUSSION 19 FRI (A)
Always on task / Often goes beyond expectations / Displays mature behaviors / Exemplary adherence to boundaries and rules.
Frequently on task / Displays appropriate behavior / Respects boundaries and rules of the class.
Sometimes is on task / Sometimes displays appropriate behavior / Sometimes observes boundaries and rules of the class
Needs to be refocused frequently / Frequently displays lack of impulse or self-control / Frequently ignores boundaries and rules.
Consistently displays a positive attitude / Accepts feedback and uses it constructively / Always respectful of and cooperative with section members and the entire ensemble.
Usually displays a positive attitude / Sometimes unwilling to accept feedback / May find it difficult to work with others in same section or the entire ensemble.
Displays a passive attitude / Seemingly ambivalent about receiving feedback / Finds it difficult to work with others in the same section or the entire ensemble.
Unwilling to display a positive attitude / Unwilling to work with others cooperatively / Disrespectful of opinions within the same section or the entire ensemble.
Always volunteers in class / Shows leadership qualities through peer-teaching.
Exhibits good self-control and respect for others / Frequently volunteers and participates
Sometimes, but not frequently, volunteers to answer questions / Will answer questions if called upon
Rarely participates in classroom activities / Reluctantly answers questions if called upon.
Physical Instrumental Skills
Exhibits exemplary knowledge of instrumental skills and physical energy for optimal tone production.
Exhibits good knowledge of instrumental skills and physical energy for optimal tone production.
Exhibits some knowledge of instrumental skills and physical energy for optimal tone production.
Exhibits limited knowledge of instrumental skills and physical energy for optimal tone production.
- Display a positive and enthusiastic attitude during rehearsals.
- Exhibit proper posture throughout each rehearsal.
- Demonstrate good effort in proper breathing and support of the tone.
- Demonstrate the proper technique for an optimal tone quality and blend.
- Maintain a proper focus throughout rehearsals.
- Follow the music of the other parts when you are not singing.
- Listen while other parts are being rehearsed so that you understand how your part fits into the musical whole.
- Listen carefully to how the ensemble sounds and make necessary adjustments to your part.
- Be a good role model for other students and add to the overall quality of the group.
- Attendance at all after school and in school rehearsals and performances.
Check + +
Appropriate Use of Materials and Preparedness
Always has music folder with up to date pencil markings in repertoire. Pencil in hand daily and up to date knowledge of parts.
Usually has music folder with up to date pencil markings in repertoire. Usually has a pencil and usually has up to date knowledge of parts
Sometimes has music folder with up to date pencil markings in repertoire. Sometimes has a pencil and sometimes has up to date knowledge of parts
Almost never has music folder with up to date pencil markings in repertoire. Almost never has a pencil and almost never has up to date knowledge of parts
Never has music folder with up to date pencil markings in repertoire. Never has a pencil and never has up to date knowledge of parts