Syracuse University Project Advance
Principles & Contemporary Issues in Sports Management
5 High School credits
3 college credits
SPM 205: Principles and Contemporary Issues in Sport Management introduces students to sports business principles and sectors through an examination of problems and issues faced by contemporary sport businesses. Unique characteristics of sport and resulting social and ethical responsibilities of sport managers will be discussed.
In addition to the use of traditional pedagogical teaching methods to deliver basic sport management concepts, students are required to complete a comprehensive, hands-on project that demonstrates their comprehension of the different sectors of the industry covered throughout the semester.
By the end of the course, students will be expected to fulfill the following course objectives:
- Identify and describe the unique characteristics and dimensions of sport.
- Examine some of the major problems/issues facing sport managers.
- Develop a knowledge and understanding of what is involved in the management of sports.
- Gain an appreciation and an understanding for the realm of facets within the sports industry.
- Apply the foundation and principles of sport management to various aspects of the sport industry.
- Understand the social and ethical responsibilities involved in managing sport organizations and events.
- Identify career opportunities in the sports industry and how to be prepared for these opportunities.
A tuition fee is payable to Syracuse University.